Personal Injury Practice Areas
- Car Accident/Crash
- Motorcycle Accident/Crash
- Uber/Lyft/Rideshare Accident/Crash
- Uninsured Motorist
- Distracted Driving
- Drunk Driver Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are all too common in Georgia. In 2016, more than 1,100 people were killed in motor vehicle accidents in Georgia, and more than 112,000 were injured. Fulton County leads the state in traffic fatalities.
Personal Injury Claims Arising from Automobile Accidents
Often, a car accident or other vehicle-related injury is caused by another person’s negligence. In Georgia, you are entitled to recover damages when another party:
- Had a legal duty to conform to a standard of conduct;
- Breached that duty;
- Through that breach, caused the injury; and
- You sustained damages as a result
The damages sustained in a motor vehicle accident may range from minor injuries and property damage to death or catastrophic injury. In either case, you shouldn’t have to bear the costs of someone else’s negligence.
Some of the most common damages a person injured in an automobile accident may recover for include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- The cost of assistance / equipment necessitated by your injury
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Of course, the damages are different in every case. When you meet with a personal injury attorney in our firm, we will work with you to itemize damages and gather the evidence necessary to establish your losses.
Immediately After a Car Accident
Unfortunately, many people who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents make serious mistakes before consulting an attorney—mistakes that may compromise their claims. When you’ve been involved in a car accident:
- Seek medical attention right away, both to protect your health and to create a record of your injuries
- Follow doctors’ orders, to ensure that you don’t aggravate or prolong your injuries through your own fault
- Get contact information from any witnesses, if you are able
- Don’t admit responsibility, because statements you may make while upset and confused may be used against you later
- Document the incident and damages, if you are able, with photographs, video or other means
- Contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible, so that your lawyer will have every opportunity to gather evidence, contact witnesses and otherwise prepare your case
Generally, a person who has been injured in an accident in Georgia has two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, as time passes it may be more difficult to reconstruct events, contact witnesses and obtain physical evidence.
Special Circumstances – Automobile Accidents Involving Uber or Lyft
With the recent explosion of ride share drivers in metropolitan areas, accidents involving drivers for companies like Uber and Lyft have become more common. Because of the unique working relationship between the drivers and the company and the unusual structure of ride share automobile insurance, cases involving Uber and Lyft drivers are often more complicated than the typical motor vehicle accident case. For example, insurance coverage may differ depending upon whether the driver was transporting a customer or simply on his or her way to pick up a passenger.
Lloyd and Alex Hoffspiegel understand and are prepared to navigate the complexities of a case involving an Uber or Lyft driver.
Get the Help You Need with Your Car Accident Case
When you’ve been injured in an accident, you have a lot to manage: physical pain, limitations, trauma, and lost income, just to name the basics. You don’t have to take on the stress of managing your personal injury claim, too. An experienced automobile accident attorney can ease that burden, protecting your rights while you focus on your recovery.
Personal Injury Attorneys Who Are Prepared to Fight for You
A surprising number of personal injury attorneys prefer to avoid the courtroom altogether, instead opting to accept the best settlement they can negotiate without trying the case. Unfortunately, that often means that the case is settled for less than full value, depriving the injured party of fair compensation. At Hoffspiegel Law, we don’t settle a case unless we’re confident that it is in your best interest.
We work with a small number of clients, many of whom have suffered serious or even catastrophic injuries, and fully invest in each case. We treat each claim as if it will go to trial, thoroughly preparing to fight your case all the way to a jury verdict if that is the best option for you. Give yourself the advantage of attorneys who are willing to fight for your rights.
Contact us today at (404) 760-8600 or click the Contact Us button below.